Don'ts During Pregnancy
1. Limit the amount of cold cuts, tuna fish and raw or undercooked seafood to 1-2 servings per week of each.
2. When buying dairy products in the grocery store, make sure they are made with pasteurized milk. Avoid soft cheese if uncooked including Feta, Brie, Camembert, Bleu-veined and Mexican-style cheeses. Avoid raw cookie dough.
3. Also make sure your fruit juices are pasteurized.
4. Avoid high temperatures- take Tylenol if you have a fever and avoid hot baths, hot tubs and saunas for the first 5 months of pregnancy. Warm baths are fine.
5. Don't drink more than 2 cups of coffee per day and avoid alcohol.
6. Artificial sweeteners such as Aspartame (Nutra-sweet) have been thoroughly studied and appear to be safe during pregnancy.
7. Hair coloring and permanents should be avoided in the first trimester but otherwise, appear to be safe during pregnancy and should always be used in a well ventilated place.
8. If you eat fish, avoid shark, swordfish, tilefish, king mackeral, bowfish (blackfish),chain pickeral (jackfish), albacore tuna or large mouth bass. These fish often contain high levels of mercury which can affect the baby's developing nervous system. Therefore, you also want to avoid these while breastfeeding. For all other fish including canned white tuna, limit yourself to 1-2 servings per week (1 serving= 6oz). No smoked seafood, and raw shellfish.
9. Wash all fruits and vegetables, no raw sprouts.
10. Do not change cat litter boxes.